We wanted to:
- Have an understanding of why early settlers came to New Zealand.
- Did the early Maori settlers and the early European settlers come to New Zealand for the same reasons.
- Where did they migrate to in New Zealand?
- Did the mix of the two new cultures to NZ always get on well together?
- What effect did the early Maori settlers have on the animal and Bird life in New Zealand?
- What effect did the early European settlers have on the N Z landscape, culture, and environment?
As this was such a big topic to try and cover in 5 weeks, we decided to split into groups. Each group was given a different aspect to look at. Because we had to work together in groups we gave ourselves some criteria to make the process so much more enjoyable.
We decided that we needed to: Take turns, listen actively to each other, use people’s names when communicating, share our material with each other (whether found in journals, library books or on the web,) give each other positive feedback and take a different group role each time we worked together. Our roles were those of group manager, recorder, time keeper, and encourager.
Below is a sample of some of our completed Art that accompanied our Written work.